Tool Lending Library Borrower Agreement
Tool Lending Library is available at the following library locations: Compton Library, Lancaster Library, Norwalk Library, Rosemead Library, and San Fernando Library.
- Only LA County Library cardholders over the age of 18 are eligible to borrow tools from the Tool Lending Library (TLL). No more than Six (6) tools can be checked out at one time, with a maximum of two (2) from the following list: drill driver, sanders, pressure washer, sewing machine, Cricut machine.
- Loan period for tools is seven (7) days. Items cannot be renewed. The borrower agrees to return any borrowed item on or before the due date in the same condition, with the exception of normal wear and tear, as when it was borrowed. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss of or damage for any tool on loan to them.
- Tools will not be sent to other libraries for pick up. Tools must be returned to the library where they were borrowed from during open hours. Do not place tools in the book drop. Please clean tools before returning them.
- Please thoroughly handwash all kitchen tools/cookware with soap and non-abrasive sponge before and after use.
- Tools cannot be reserved for a future date and holds cannot be placed in the online catalog. However, if a tool is available, the customer may call the library and have the tool set aside to be borrowed later THE SAME DAY. No tool will be held beyond closing time. LA County Library retains the right to alter or suspend any of the above reserve policies.
- All tools and equipment lent by the TLL are the property of LA County Library. Only the borrower is authorized to use the tools. The borrower shall not permit the use of said tools to any other person.
- Before borrowing any tool or piece of equipment, the borrower shall sign a form of LIABILITY WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION (English, Spanish, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified)) to be provided by LA County Library, which will be kept on file. The borrower acknowledges that they are capable of using the tool in a safe and proper manner. Library will include any instruction manuals. Library staff are unable to provide assistance with using the tools beyond the provided manufacturer’s instructions.
- The borrower agrees that LA County Library and the County of Los Angeles are not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
- The borrower agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the borrower will immediately discontinue use of the tool and return it to LA County Library.
- Repeated failure to return tools on time may result in revocation of borrowing privileges. LA County Library reserves the right to limit the number of tools borrowed and to alter the maximum loan period.
- When tools are not returned by the designated due date, LA County Library will issue an overdue notice. If the tools are not returned after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including by collection agency and/or legal action.
- Borrower will be charged replacement cost for each item not returned. If the item is returned damaged, a damage fee will be charged.
- The Tool Lending Library retains the right to refuse the loan of any item for failure to comply with any of the above rules and regulations, or for falsification of any information.
This program is supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.