All LA County Library locations will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day. Our digital library is open 24/7.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Hollydale Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hollydale Library

Hollydale Library was founded in 1929, apparently in a house on Paramount Boulevard. Later the library was moved to a commercial building on Main Street near Garfield Avenue. In 1945, the library lost its lease and was closed. It was reopened in May 1948 in the same building with a larger space. Finally, a permanent…

read more
Huntington Park Library 150 150 LA County Library

Huntington Park Library

Proudly serving the residents of the vibrant City of Huntington Park and neighboring areas, the Huntington Park Library was founded in 1913 and originally housed in the City Hall. As the library continued to grow, it moved to larger locations in 1924 and 1931. The present library building in the Civic Center was dedicated in…

read more
Leland R. Weaver Library 150 150 LA County Library

Leland R. Weaver Library

The city of South Gate was incorporated in 1923 with a population of about 2,500 residents. The first South Gate Library was opened that same year in a back room of City Hall. Starting in 1931, the County of Los Angeles Free Library began providing library service to local residents. In 1948, the County of…

read more
Lynwood Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lynwood Library

Lynwood Library was established in May 1915. It began as a volunteer library, but soon joined the Los Angeles County Public Library System. From a small club-house room on Long Beach Boulevard, the library was moved in 1917 to a storeroom at the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Fernwood Avenue, then to Elmwood Avenue,…

read more
Maywood César Chávez Library 150 150 LA County Library

Maywood César Chávez Library

The library was established in February 1921, in the Lincoln School (now Fishburn Avenue School) and was called Maywood Free Public Library. In 1924, the library moved to Pine Avenue and was open four days a week, from 2:00 – 5:00 and 7:00 – 8:00. It remained at that location until 1938, when it moved…

read more
Paramount Express Library 150 150 LA County Library

Paramount Express Library

A desk and a reading room in a building in the Clearwater-Hynes unincorporated community became the 26th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library in September 1913. The Clearwater Branch was located on Paramount Boulevard, (then known as Ocean), north of Alondra Boulevard, (then known as Center). It contained 121 books and the first…

read more
Angelo M. Iacoboni Library 150 150 LA County Library

Angelo M. Iacoboni Library

Angelo M. Iacoboni Library was founded in 1954 – the same year that Lakewood officially incorporated as a city. Originally the library was located in the Faculty Shops in Lakewood Center near what was then the City Hall. The library moved to a larger building in 1959 and was rededicated in 1965 as the Angelo…

read more
Clifton M. Brakensiek Library 150 150 LA County Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library has served the community of Bellflower for more than 100 years. The first branch was opened on March 11, 1914. The library moved four times until its present facility was dedicated on August 16, 1975, and named in honor of Clifton M. Brakensiek, MD, who donated the land on which the…

read more
George Nye, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

George Nye, Jr. Library

On February 22, 1973, the City of Lakewood, in cooperation with the County of Los Angeles Public Library, opened the George Nye, Jr. Library. The library is named for Lakewood Mayor George H. Nye, Jr. who died while serving in office in May 1971. The library is the second in the city and serves the…

read more
Skip to content