- Monday Closed
- Tuesday 12 pm - 8 pm
- Wednesday 12 pm - 8 pm
- Thursday 10 am - 6 pm
- Friday 10 am - 6 pm
- Saturday 10 am - 6 pm
- Sunday Closed
Get to Know This Library
About Clifton M. Brakensiek Library
- Library Size: 20,160 sq ft
- Space for Children
- Book Drop
- Space for Teens
- Meeting Rooms: Capacity 45
- Study Rooms: Capacity 1/room
- In-person and telephone research assistance
- MetroTAP Cards
- Early Learning and Engagement
- Self-serve Homework Center
- Online Homework Help
- Online Homework Help
- Teen Advisory Board
- Public Computers: 8
- Laptop & Hotspot Kits: 8
- Express Computers: 8
- Homework Center Computers: 4
- Early Learning Computers: 2
Friends of the Library
Friends of the Library a volunteer-run organization that supports the library and library events
Friends of the Library provides the following services to support the library.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
Clifton M. Brakensiek Library has served the community of Bellflower for more than 100 years. The first branch was opened on March 11, 1914.
The library moved four times until its present facility was dedicated on August 16, 1975, and named in honor of Clifton M. Brakensiek, MD, who donated the land on which the library is built.
It served as the Automated Circulation System pilot site and was the first County library to implement the new online circulation system in 1989.
In 1915 there were 213 library cardholders and 412 books on the shelves. The circulation for 1915 was 3,433. Today’s circulation is approximately 200,000 with 40,000 registered borrowers. The Library has an active Friends of the Library group.
On December 19, 2002, the Brakensiek Library reopened for service following several months of renovation. The project was a joint effort of Fourth District Supervisor Don Knabe, the City of Bellflower, The Friends of the Library and the County of Los Angeles Public Library. The remodeled library has a new look with a redesign of the interior, technology upgrades and two new public service desks.
- City of Bellflower Municipal Code
- City of Bellflower: Provides information about the City of Bellflower.
- Cerritos College: General information on Cerritos College, which serves the cities of Artesia, Bellflower, Lakewood, Hawaiian Gardens and Norwalk.
- Bellflower Unified School District: Links to schools and educational resources.
- Press Telegram: Online local news and information service from the Long Beach Press Telegram, a local newspaper that serves the area. Includes local sports and entertainment news.
- Friends of the Bellflower Library
Staff Picks (All Ages)
A monthly list of noteworthy titles selected by our Collection Development Services team.
LA County Library Debuts Four New Little Libraries at Gloria Molina Grand Park in the Heart of Downtown Los Angeles
Click to learn about the 4 "little libraries" that LA County Library has installed in Gloria Molina Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles.
LA County Library Hosts Vaccine Clinics at Select Libraries, Providing Free Flu Shots, Updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 Vaccines, and Mpox Vaccines
LA County announces free vaccine clinics at select LA County Library locations through December 20, 2023.