Guidelines for Use of
Study Room Use Agreement
LA County Library provides free study rooms for individual study, group work, meetings, and other uses to support and cultivate the community’s creativity and affirm the library as a center for learning. This policy covers study rooms, which generally have seating for 1 – 8 individuals. Meeting rooms, which have seating for more than 20, and conference rooms, which have seating for 20 or fewer are not subject to this policy. Please consult the Meeting Room Policy for meeting room and conference room guidelines.
- Customers may view the availability and room capacity of study rooms on the LA County Library website and reserve a study room up to 1 week in advance.
- A valid email address is required to make study room reservations.
- Reservations may be reserved online, in person, or over the phone. Customers may also make same-day walk-in reservations if a room is available.
- Individuals and/or groups are allowed 1 booking per day. Reservations can be made in 30-minute increments, up to two hours (120 minutes) per day.
- Customers are required to check in with a staff member before entering the reserved study room. Customers should be prepared to show the confirmation email to confirm their booking.
- Study room use must begin within fifteen minutes of the reservation start time or the reservation may be forfeited to another customer or group. A “no-show” reservation will count towards a customer’s daily booking limit.
- Members of a group currently occupying a study room may not extend their booking time by using additional email accounts.
- Groups using study rooms may not exceed the posted capacity listed on the website.
- Study rooms are not soundproofed. In consideration for other library customers, please keep noise to a minimum.
- Study rooms must be left in the same condition in which they were accepted. Cleaning up of the room, including disposing of trash and cleaning whiteboards and tables, is the responsibility of those using the study room.
- Personal property should not be left unattended in a study room, and the library is not responsible for lost or missing items.
- Customers must exit the study room promptly at the end of their scheduled time. Customers must notify library staff if they are finished with the study room before their time is up.
- Study rooms must be vacated 15 minutes before the library closes.
Cancellations and Other Restrictions
- Customers may cancel their reservation up to the reservation start time but are highly encouraged to cancel as soon as possible to allow other groups to reserve the room. Cancellations may be done on the online reservation system, in-person, or over the phone.
- Permission to use a study room does not constitute endorsement or sponsorship by LA County Library.
- LA County Library reserves the right to decline or cancel any study room reservation.
- Study rooms may not be used for purposes prohibited by County ordinances, or by state or federal law.
- Failure to observe the study room policy and/or violations of the customer expectations policy may result in cancellation of current or future study room reservations.
- The County of Los Angeles has priority use of study rooms at all LA County Library locations.
- To promote accessibility of study rooms to the community, the Library may limit the number or length of study room reservations during any time period for any applicant. The Library also reserves the right to place additional limitations on the use of the study room based on the demands at those library locations.