• CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Hollydale Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hollydale Library

Hollydale Library was founded in 1929, apparently in a house on Paramount Boulevard. Later the library was moved to a commercial building on Main Street near Garfield Avenue. In 1945, the library lost its lease and was closed. It was reopened in May 1948 in the same building with a larger space. Finally, a permanent…

read more
Leland R. Weaver Library 150 150 LA County Library

Leland R. Weaver Library

The city of South Gate was incorporated in 1923 with a population of about 2,500 residents. The first South Gate Library was opened that same year in a back room of City Hall. Starting in 1931, the County of Los Angeles Free Library began providing library service to local residents. In 1948, the County of…

read more
Lynwood Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lynwood Library

Lynwood Library was established in May 1915. It began as a volunteer library, but soon joined the Los Angeles County Public Library System. From a small club-house room on Long Beach Boulevard, the library was moved in 1917 to a storeroom at the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Fernwood Avenue, then to Elmwood Avenue,…

read more
Paramount Express Library 150 150 LA County Library

Paramount Express Library

A desk and a reading room in a building in the Clearwater-Hynes unincorporated community became the 26th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library in September 1913. The Clearwater Branch was located on Paramount Boulevard, (then known as Ocean), north of Alondra Boulevard, (then known as Center). It contained 121 books and the first…

read more
Angelo M. Iacoboni Library 150 150 LA County Library

Angelo M. Iacoboni Library

Angelo M. Iacoboni Library was founded in 1954 – the same year that Lakewood officially incorporated as a city. Originally the library was located in the Faculty Shops in Lakewood Center near what was then the City Hall. The library moved to a larger building in 1959 and was rededicated in 1965 as the Angelo…

read more
Carson Library 150 150 LA County Library

Carson Library

Established in 1938 as the Keystone Branch, the library merged with the Carson Branch in 1959. The present building was opened in 1972 and was fully renovated in 2023. It serves 19.24 square miles.

read more
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library

The original library opened in a leased storefront building at 18419 S. Avalon Blvd on June 4, 1959. The present library was dedicated on June 2, 1973.

read more
Skip to content