Select libraries will serve as Cooling Centers through Wednesday, July 24. Learn More.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Woodcrest Library 150 150 LA County Library

Woodcrest Library

The library was founded in 1913 and housed in the Woodcrest School. It moved to various locations in the community until the present location was opened in 1967.

read more
Willowbrook Library 150 150 LA County Library

Willowbrook Library

Willowbrook Library occupies a very special place in the history of the County of Los Angeles Public Library. The Los Angeles County Free Library, as it was then called, was founded September 5, 1912. On Christmas Eve Day, 1912, the County Librarian received a petition from the residents of the Willowbrook Community, requesting that Willowbrook…

read more
Topanga Library 150 150 LA County Library

Topanga Library

The Topanga Library opened on January 21, 2012. As Al Martinez stated in his inaugural speech, “This isn’t just an impressive edifice of stone and steel. It’s a house of knowledge and imagination, a trip to new worlds, a journey to the mystical land of tomorrow.” The state-of-the-art library is a LEED-certified green building with…

read more
San Fernando Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Fernando Library

San Fernando Library opened in November 1914 as a branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library. This library, the first public library in the mainly agricultural San Fernando Valley, found its home in the Industrial Arts building of the San Fernando Union High School located at 130 North Brand Blvd. In the first year,…

read more
San Dimas Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Dimas Library

Founded in 1913 as the second branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library, the San Dimas Library was originally located in the back of Fairbank’s Drug Store. Subsequently, it moved to a storefront location on Bonita Avenue. The present building, located in the San Dimas Civic Center, was dedicated in 1971.

read more
El Monte Library 150 150 LA County Library

El Monte Library

Friendly El Monte, the End of the Santa Fe Trail, was incorporated in 1912. The city was once home to Gay’s Lion Farm during the 1930s and famous for the roaring lion on MGM’s logo. The El Monte Library was founded in 1890, and joined the Los Angeles County Public Library in 1913. It has…

read more
Rosemead Library 150 150 LA County Library

Rosemead Library

Rosemead Library traces its history back to the establishment of the Savannah Branch of the Los Angeles County Free Public Library in June, 1916. The library originally occupied one room of the Savannah School, located on the corner of Valley Blvd. and Rio Hondo Avenue. Over the years the library has burned down twice (in…

read more
Norwalk Library 150 150 LA County Library

Norwalk Library

Norwalk Library started out in July, 1913 as the 17th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library through the efforts of a committee of the Commercial Club. The collection of 500 books was housed in a second floor room of the Stiffler Building at 537 E. Front Street. In 1919, Hattie Sproul, a member…

read more
Littlerock Library 150 150 LA County Library

Littlerock Library

Littlerock residents petitioned the County of Los Angeles for library service in August 1914. The original collection totaled 222 books supplied by the County of Los Angeles Public Library and was housed in a private residence. The library moved to a home of its own – Grandma’s Fruit Stand – in 1926. Early in 1938,…

read more
Lennox Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lennox Library

Lennox Library was first established in 1918 in the original Jefferson School on 104th St. The library was permanently moved to its present site in 1948.

read more
Skip to content