Select libraries will serve as Cooling Centers through Wednesday, July 24. Learn More.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Leland R. Weaver Library 150 150 LA County Library

Leland R. Weaver Library

The city of South Gate was incorporated in 1923 with a population of about 2,500 residents. The first South Gate Library was opened that same year in a back room of City Hall. Starting in 1931, the County of Los Angeles Free Library began providing library service to local residents. In 1948, the County of…

read more
Lawndale Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lawndale Library

The first library in Lawndale – one of the earliest branches of the County of Los Angeles Public Library – opened December 26, 1913 at the corner of Railroad Ave. and Market St. (now Hawthorne Blvd. and 147th St.). The current Lawndale Library opened to great fanfare March 18, 2009 after 52 years of serving…

read more
Lancaster Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lancaster Library

The original Lancaster Library was established by the Los Angeles County Free Public Library in October 1912 in the Antelope Valley Union High School which was located on the southwest corner of Tenth Street (now Lancaster Boulevard) and Cedar Avenue. Subsequently, the Lancaster Library occupied space in a local drugstore, the Chamber of Commerce, and…

read more
La Verne Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Verne Library

La Verne Library was originally established as the “Traveling Library” on October 1, 1914, when the Lordsburg Library Board of Trustees joined the Los Angeles County Library system. After numerous moves to ever larger facilities, the La Verne Library moved to its current location at 3640 D Street on July 29, 1985.

read more
La Puente Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Puente Library

La Puente Library began its long career in a local schoolhouse in September 1913. It resided in a school, a bank, and the Puente Mercantile Building until 1930. The library then moved to larger quarters several times over the next 38 years until it reached its present location in the La Puente Civic Center in…

read more
La Crescenta Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Crescenta Library

La Crescenta Library first opened in November 1914 as the 78th branch of the Los Angeles County Public Library. The collection was first housed in a local church building, and subsequently moved several times; once into a school house, later into a local store front, and into the Sears building in 1926. By 1932, the…

read more
La Cañada Flintridge Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Cañada Flintridge Library

The La Cañada Flintridge Library was established in May 1913 and was originally housed in the rear of a general store. It was the second branch of the Los Angeles County Public Library system. The library was moved in 1915 to the La Cañada Elementary School where it remained through 1934. At that time, the…

read more
Huntington Park Library 150 150 LA County Library

Huntington Park Library

Proudly serving the residents of the vibrant City of Huntington Park and neighboring areas, the Huntington Park Library was founded in 1913 and originally housed in the City Hall. As the library continued to grow, it moved to larger locations in 1924 and 1931. The present library building in the Civic Center was dedicated in…

read more
Florence Library 150 150 LA County Library

Florence Library

Library service to the Florence community began in 1914 as a collection of 125 titles housed in the home of Fred W. Cleland at 1920 E. Florence Avenue, with Mrs. Maude Cleland as the volunteer custodian of the collection. On June 30, 1915, the collection of 508 books was moved to the Florence Avenue Elementary…

read more
Skip to content