- Monday 10 am - 8 pm
- Tuesday 10 am - 8 pm
- Wednesday 10 am - 8 pm
- Thursday 10 am - 8 pm
- Friday 10 am - 6 pm
- Saturday 10 am - 6 pm
- Sunday Closed
Get to Know This Library
About East Rancho Dominguez Library
- Library Size: 7,215 sq ft
- Household Battery Recycling Site
- Space for Children
- Book Drop
- Meeting Rooms: Capacity 70
- Study Rooms: Capacity 4
- In-person and telephone research assistance
- MetroTAP Cards
- Early Learning and Engagement
- Self-serve Homework Center
- Online Homework Help
- Public Computers: 9
- Children's Computers: 6
- Teen Computers: 3
- Laptop & Hotspot Kits: 8
- Express Computers: 8
- Homework Center Computers: 2
- Early Learning Computers: 2
East Rancho Dominguez Library, formerly known as the East Compton Library, was originally located at 15121 S. Atlantic Avenue.
The library was opened for service on March 17, 1952, for thirteen hours a week with a collection totaling 4,860 books. At that time it was the fastest growing library in the Los Angeles County Public Library’s 43-year existence and for that reason the library was relocated to 4205 East Compton Blvd on October 17, 1955.
In June 1955, the circulation was 2,616. By October 1955, it was 3,396. The collection had increased to 5,366 with a growth capacity of 10,000. By 1963, more space was needed and on April 17, 1963, the size of the building was doubled.
A Friends of the Library group was established in March 2000, with the installation of the first officers on March 18, 2000.
On October 29, 2012, the library moved to a new 7,215 sq foot building at 4420 East Rose Street. The new library was certified as LEED Platinum under New Construction and is the first county owned facility to achieve this status. The new library includes a meeting room, group study room, and large children’s area. Photovoltaic (solar) panels are an important feature of the design that provides a renewable energy source to operate a portion of the facility as well as contributes to the aesthetics of the building.
Los Angeles-based artist, Louise Griffin, designed and fabricated 6 separate two-dimensional glass panels for the library.
- El Camino College - Compton Center: Information about the college which serves the cities of Compton, Lynwood, Paramount and Carson.
- Compton Unified School District: Information about the school district serving Compton, Carson, Enterprise, South Los Angeles and Willowbrook. Información en Español.
- East Rancho Dominguez Service Center: East Rancho Dominguez Service Center is a multi-purpose facility designed to enhance the community with a range of educational, social and recreational activities.
Staff Picks (All Ages)
A monthly list of noteworthy titles selected by our Collection Development Services team.
LA County Library Debuts Four New Little Libraries at Gloria Molina Grand Park in the Heart of Downtown Los Angeles
Click to learn about the 4 "little libraries" that LA County Library has installed in Gloria Molina Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles.
LA County Library Hosts Vaccine Clinics at Select Libraries, Providing Free Flu Shots, Updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 Vaccines, and Mpox Vaccines
LA County announces free vaccine clinics at select LA County Library locations through December 20, 2023.