Select libraries will serve as Cooling Centers through Wednesday, July 24. Learn More.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Agoura Hills Library 150 150 LA County Library

Agoura Hills Library

Las Virgenes Library was founded in 1916 and was located for a brief period, at the Las Virgenes Grammar School. The library then moved to Liberty School which was one of four schools in the area. Shortly after 1920, the school and the library moved to Chesebro Road. The library was managed during that time…

read more
Sunkist Library 150 150 LA County Library

Sunkist Library

The original Sunkist-La Puente Library was dedicated and opened on Monday, March 28, 1960 to become the second library in the City of La Puente. This storefront library was located at 13913 Elliot Avenue in the Sunkist Shopping Center. The library was dedicated by Supervisor Frank Bonelli. The library remained in that location for 18…

read more
Stevenson Ranch Library 150 150 LA County Library

Stevenson Ranch Library

Library service in Stevenson Ranch began in July 2011 with the opening of Stevenson Ranch Express Library. In March, 2015, a new Stevenson Ranch Library opened to provide a full service library to the West Ranch communities. Library service in the Santa Clarita Valley area began in 1916 with the establishment of the original Newhall…

read more
South Whittier Library 150 150 LA County Library

South Whittier Library

South Whittier Library was founded in 1915. The library’s first location was in a one-room schoolhouse. South Whittier’s first separate built-as-a-library building was dedicated on April 16, 1956. After 16 years at that location on Laurel Avenue, the library moved to 14433 Leffingwell Road. The library closed for renovations in January 1988 and a newly…

read more
South El Monte Library 150 150 LA County Library

South El Monte Library

The library, as part of the new South El Monte Civic Center complex, was built in 1966. Present at the dedication ceremony were County Supervisor Frank G. Bonelli and County Librarian William Geller. The facility, under a 20-year lease from the City of South El Monte, was purchased by the County of Los Angeles in…

read more
Sorensen Library 150 150 LA County Library

Sorensen Library

In the late 1940’s residents of this community organized the Sorensen Park and Recreation Association. Their efforts, in part, led to the founding of a library within the Sorensen Park area. Dedicated in 1956, it was seen at the time as the first step in a project that would provide a library three times its…

read more
San Gabriel Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Gabriel Library

The library was founded in 1915 and moved to its present site in 1967. The Friends of the Library was founded in 1967. A historical mural was painted in 1984. The library recently underwent a total refurbishment.

read more
San Fernando Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Fernando Library

San Fernando Library opened in November 1914 as a branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library. This library, the first public library in the mainly agricultural San Fernando Valley, found its home in the Industrial Arts building of the San Fernando Union High School located at 130 North Brand Blvd. In the first year,…

read more
San Dimas Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Dimas Library

Founded in 1913 as the second branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library, the San Dimas Library was originally located in the back of Fairbank’s Drug Store. Subsequently, it moved to a storefront location on Bonita Avenue. The present building, located in the San Dimas Civic Center, was dedicated in 1971.

read more
Rowland Heights Library 150 150 LA County Library

Rowland Heights Library

Originally Rowland Heights, an unincorporated area of Los Angeles County, was part of the Workman Temple Homestead in California’s rancho days. Since the 1990’s Rowland Heights has been in a steadily upward growth mode, serving an estimated (1996) population of 48,488 plus surrounding areas. Rowland Heights Library opened in Eastwood Shopping Center on July 21,…

read more
Skip to content