Select libraries will serve as Cooling Centers through Wednesday, July 24. Learn More.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Diamond Bar Library 150 150 LA County Library

Diamond Bar Library

Originally opened in 1977, the Diamond Bar Library has long provided valuable services to both residents and visitors. The Diamond Bar Library at 1061 Grand Avenue was rededicated on August 15, 1998 after renovations made possible by the City of Diamond Bar Redevelopment Agency, the County of Los Angeles, and the Diamond Bar Friends of…

read more
West Covina Library 150 150 LA County Library

West Covina Library

Founded in 1915, West Covina Library has been located in the West Covina Civic Center since 1961. The first County library designed as a Regional Headquarters, it was remodeled in 1975. Today West Covina Library still serves as the East Regional County Library for the County of Los Angeles Public Library.

read more
Hawthorne Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hawthorne Library

The library was founded in 1913 and moved to its present location in 1962. The facility was remodeled in 1978 and again in 2022. The Friends of the Hawthorne & Wiseburn Libraries started in 1979. The library serves a 5.99 square mile area.

read more
Hawaiian Gardens Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hawaiian Gardens Library

Hawaiian Gardens Library was founded in 1974 with a bookmobile serving the community. The next site for the library was at 12134 Tilbury Street (the former city hall); it served the community from 1979 until December 1987. On January 19, 1988, the library was relocated to a 2,000 square foot building in the Hawaiian Gardens…

read more
George Nye, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

George Nye, Jr. Library

On February 22, 1973, the City of Lakewood, in cooperation with the County of Los Angeles Public Library, opened the George Nye, Jr. Library. The library is named for Lakewood Mayor George H. Nye, Jr. who died while serving in office in May 1971. The library is the second in the city and serves the…

read more
El Camino Real Library 150 150 LA County Library

El Camino Real Library

The library, originally founded in 1929 as the Stephenson Library, moved into its present location in 1972 and was rededicated as El Camino Real Library in 1975. The library was rededicated again in November 2014 after a renovation and expansion that added a meeting room, teen area, and outdoor reading patio. The library is located…

read more
East Rancho Dominguez Library 150 150 LA County Library

East Rancho Dominguez Library

East Rancho Dominguez Library, formerly known as the East Compton Library, was originally located at 15121 S. Atlantic Avenue. The library was opened for service on March 17, 1952, for thirteen hours a week with a collection totaling 4,860 books. At that time it was the fastest growing library in the Los Angeles County Public…

read more
East Los Angeles Library 150 150 LA County Library

East Los Angeles Library

East Los Angeles Library was established on May 1, 1923, with a small collection of books in the corner of a local store. Three months later, a small building was constructed to house the collection. In 1924, another building was constructed at Kern Avenue near Whittier Boulevard to become the new site of the public…

read more
Duarte Library 150 150 LA County Library

Duarte Library

Library service on an established basis began in 1950 in a small room of the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Wayland Morrison, with Mrs. Lisa Pederson as the librarian. The holdings were small, but the request system of the County Library gave the community access to the vast resources of the system. In 1954, a…

read more
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library

The original library opened in a leased storefront building at 18419 S. Avalon Blvd on June 4, 1959. The present library was dedicated on June 2, 1973.

read more
Skip to content