Select libraries will serve as Cooling Centers through Wednesday, July 24. Learn More.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Acton Agua Dulce Library 150 150 LA County Library

Acton Agua Dulce Library

In 2003, John Brevidoro and his brother, Robert, donated 1.5 acres of land on Crown Valley Road in Acton to the County of Los Angeles for the site of a new County library to serve the residents of the communities of Acton and Agua Dulce in northern Los Angeles County. The Brevidoro brothers donated the…

read more
Lynwood Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lynwood Library

Lynwood Library was established in May 1915. It began as a volunteer library, but soon joined the Los Angeles County Public Library System. From a small club-house room on Long Beach Boulevard, the library was moved in 1917 to a storeroom at the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Fernwood Avenue, then to Elmwood Avenue,…

read more
Los Nietos Library 150 150 LA County Library

Los Nietos Library

Los Nietos Library had its beginning shortly after World War I, in September 1919. Since its founding, the Library has offered service in five locations. A bookmobile provided library service to the community for a short time. 1919: Los Nietos School 1939: 2031 Norwalk Blvd 1948: Bookmobile 1949: Los Nietos School cafeteria building 1950: 8801…

read more
Lomita Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lomita Library

The Los Angeles County Free Library was a little over a year old when the Lomita community applied for service. A branch was established in a local clubhouse in June 1914 with 232 books which were mostly donated, 14 registered card holders, and a volunteer custodian in charge of the library. By 1918 its original…

read more
Live Oak Library 150 150 LA County Library

Live Oak Library

Live Oak Library was founded in 1917. As the business area along Live Oak Ave was incorporated into the City of Arcadia, the library site moved eastward to a location in unincorporated Los Angeles in 1964. In 2021, Live Oak Library moved to their current, larger location, which was designed to better serve the residents…

read more
Littlerock Library 150 150 LA County Library

Littlerock Library

Littlerock residents petitioned the County of Los Angeles for library service in August 1914. The original collection totaled 222 books supplied by the County of Los Angeles Public Library and was housed in a private residence. The library moved to a home of its own – Grandma’s Fruit Stand – in 1926. Early in 1938,…

read more
Lennox Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lennox Library

Lennox Library was first established in 1918 in the original Jefferson School on 104th St. The library was permanently moved to its present site in 1948.

read more
Leland R. Weaver Library 150 150 LA County Library

Leland R. Weaver Library

The city of South Gate was incorporated in 1923 with a population of about 2,500 residents. The first South Gate Library was opened that same year in a back room of City Hall. Starting in 1931, the County of Los Angeles Free Library began providing library service to local residents. In 1948, the County of…

read more
Lawndale Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lawndale Library

The first library in Lawndale – one of the earliest branches of the County of Los Angeles Public Library – opened December 26, 1913 at the corner of Railroad Ave. and Market St. (now Hawthorne Blvd. and 147th St.). The current Lawndale Library opened to great fanfare March 18, 2009 after 52 years of serving…

read more
Lancaster Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lancaster Library

The original Lancaster Library was established by the Los Angeles County Free Public Library in October 1912 in the Antelope Valley Union High School which was located on the southwest corner of Tenth Street (now Lancaster Boulevard) and Cedar Avenue. Subsequently, the Lancaster Library occupied space in a local drugstore, the Chamber of Commerce, and…

read more
Skip to content