- Monday 10 am - 8 pm
- Tuesday 10 am - 8 pm
- Wednesday 10 am - 8 pm
- Thursday 10 am - 8 pm
- Friday 10 am - 6 pm
- Saturday 10 am - 6 pm
- Sunday Closed
Get to Know This Library
About Sorensen Library
- Library Size: 10,655 sq ft
- Household Battery Recycling Site
- Space for Children
- Book Drop
- Space for Teens
- Meeting Rooms: Capacity 70
- Study Rooms: Capacity 6
- In-person and telephone research assistance
- MetroTAP Cards
- Early Learning and Engagement
- Online Homework Help
- Public Computers: 10
- Children's Computers: 10
- Teen Computers: 3
- Laptop & Hotspot Kits: 7
- Express Computers: 8
- Early Learning Computers: 2
Friends of the Library
Friends of Sorensen Library a volunteer-run organization that supports the library and library events
Friends of Sorensen Library provides the following services to support the library.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
In the late 1940’s residents of this community organized the Sorensen Park and Recreation Association. Their efforts, in part, led to the founding of a library within the Sorensen Park area.
Dedicated in 1956, it was seen at the time as the first step in a project that would provide a library three times its initial size of 1,048 square feet. The library never was expanded, partly due to budget constraints.
In November of 1992, Sorensen was one of ten County libraries closed in response to State property tax shifts. All materials and equipment were removed to fill pressing needs at other libraries. Happily, in January of 1996, Sorensen was re-opened with funds available through the Community Services District #8. This necessitated completely re-equipping the facility and rebuilding the collection.
In November 2008, Sorensen Library closed once again so a new facility could be built. The new building opened October 1, 2010, and at 10,655 sq. ft., the new building is ten times the size of the former library.
The new Sorensen Library is the County Library’s first green library. Meeting the LEED Gold rating, the library is part of the County’s Sustainable Design Implementation program, featuring extensive natural/solar lighting, drought resistant landscaping, local building materials and more.
- Rio Hondo Community College: Information about the local community college and the services it offers.
- Whittier Chamber of Commerce: Information about the Whittier Chamber of Commerce, business directory, etc.
- City of Whittier: Includes city departments, elected officials, city counsel agendas, Whittier City Hall, Whittier Chamber of Commerce, business directory, history, etc.
- Whittier College: Information on Whittier College including calendar of events, admissions, employment, Law School and the Whittier College Library.
Staff Picks (All Ages)
A monthly list of noteworthy titles selected by our Collection Development Services team.
LA County Library Debuts Four New Little Libraries at Gloria Molina Grand Park in the Heart of Downtown Los Angeles
Click to learn about the 4 "little libraries" that LA County Library has installed in Gloria Molina Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles.
LA County Library Hosts Vaccine Clinics at Select Libraries, Providing Free Flu Shots, Updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 Vaccines, and Mpox Vaccines
LA County announces free vaccine clinics at select LA County Library locations through December 20, 2023.