• CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Pico Rivera Library 150 150 LA County Library

Pico Rivera Library

Founded in 1917, the new 16,000 square foot library was dedicated on December 14, 2013. It replaced the old 7,700 square foot circular library constructed in 1961. Funding for the new LEED rated library was provided by the City of Pico Rivera and Supervisorial District 1. It is the larger of the two libraries serving…

read more
Hawaiian Gardens Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hawaiian Gardens Library

Hawaiian Gardens Library was founded in 1974 with a bookmobile serving the community. The next site for the library was at 12134 Tilbury Street (the former city hall); it served the community from 1979 until December 1987. On January 19, 1988, the library was relocated to a 2,000 square foot building in the Hawaiian Gardens…

read more
George Nye, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

George Nye, Jr. Library

On February 22, 1973, the City of Lakewood, in cooperation with the County of Los Angeles Public Library, opened the George Nye, Jr. Library. The library is named for Lakewood Mayor George H. Nye, Jr. who died while serving in office in May 1971. The library is the second in the city and serves the…

read more
Clifton M. Brakensiek Library 150 150 LA County Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library has served the community of Bellflower for more than 100 years. The first branch was opened on March 11, 1914. The library moved four times until its present facility was dedicated on August 16, 1975, and named in honor of Clifton M. Brakensiek, MD, who donated the land on which the…

read more
Bell Library 150 150 LA County Library

Bell Library

Bell Library was established in 1913 as the 29th branch of the County of Los Angeles Public Library System. After having been relocated several times, the library was built at the present location in 1960. Due to the rapid growth of the community, the building was expanded in 1973. It is presently serving one of…

read more
Bell Gardens Library 150 150 LA County Library

Bell Gardens Library

Bell Gardens Library first opened in August, 1938 at 5656 Live Oak St. As the City of Bell Gardens grew and expanded, so did the library. On September 22, 1958 the library moved to 7515 Eastern Ave. (a store front location). The library moved to its current location, 7110 S. Garfield Avenue, on May 7th,…

read more
Avalon Library 150 150 LA County Library

Avalon Library

Avalon Library was established in February of 1914. Led by the Mary Williams Club (now the Santa Catalina Woman’s Club), and the Avalon Chamber of Commerce the townspeople came together to meet the offer that Los Angeles County presented to them “if the citizens could provide furniture, shelves, a space and volunteers to run it”,…

read more
Angelo M. Iacoboni Library 150 150 LA County Library

Angelo M. Iacoboni Library

Angelo M. Iacoboni Library was founded in 1954 – the same year that Lakewood officially incorporated as a city. Originally the library was located in the Faculty Shops in Lakewood Center near what was then the City Hall. The library moved to a larger building in 1959 and was rededicated in 1965 as the Angelo…

read more
Alondra Library 150 150 LA County Library

Alondra Library

Dedicated on June 13, 1970, the Alondra Library was opened with a collection of nearly 15,000 volumes. The ground was broken for the Library on Jan 14, 1970. Built by the City of Norwalk, the library was to place a special emphasis on Norwalk’s Mexican-American heritage and culture. Funds for the first Spanish language books…

read more
South Whittier Library 150 150 LA County Library

South Whittier Library

South Whittier Library was founded in 1915. The library’s first location was in a one-room schoolhouse. South Whittier’s first separate built-as-a-library building was dedicated on April 16, 1956. After 16 years at that location on Laurel Avenue, the library moved to 14433 Leffingwell Road. The library closed for renovations in January 1988 and a newly…

read more
Skip to content