- Monday Closed
- Tuesday 12 pm - 8 pm
- Wednesday 12 pm - 8 pm
- Thursday 10 am - 6 pm
- Friday 10 am - 6 pm
- Saturday 10 am - 6 pm
- Sunday Closed
Get to Know This Library
About Avalon Library
- Library Size: 1,256 sq ft
- Space for Children
- Book Drop
- In-person and telephone research assistance
- Public Computers: 3
- Children's Computers: 1
- Laptop & Hotspot Kits: 4
- Express Computers: 10
- Early Learning Computers: 1
Friends of the Library
Friends of the Library a volunteer-run organization that supports the library and library events
Friends of the Library provides the following services to support the library.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
Avalon Library was established in February of 1914.
Led by the Mary Williams Club (now the Santa Catalina Woman’s Club), and the Avalon Chamber of Commerce the townspeople came together to meet the offer that Los Angeles County presented to them “if the citizens could provide furniture, shelves, a space and volunteers to run it”, Los Angeles County would furnish the books.
In February 1914, the first L.A. County Public Library “overseas branch”, opened at the Grandview Hotel with 196 books, courtesy of the County, the number doubled by that summer.
In November 1915, a raging fire destroyed most of the town, including the library. H.W. Allen managed to salvage 100 books which he stored in his home until a new quarters could be found for the library.
The Sophia yacht club was the first in a series of locations which included City Hall, Kassar Building, Hotel Atwater Arcade, 211 Metropole Ave, and 208 Metropole Ave.
In the Spring of 1962 the Avalon Library found a home in the new County Center at 215 Summer Ave.
- Love Catalina, The Catalina Island Tourism Authority: Provides visitors with information about the Island.
- The Catalina Island Conservancy: The Santa Catalina Island Conservancy was formed in 1972 to preserve and protect the native plants and animals, and biotic communities of Santa Catalina Island. Hiking permits and eco-tours of this beautiful island are available through the Conservancy, as well as a wealth of research based information.
- The Catalina Island Museum: The Catalina Island Museum collects, preserves and presents the rich cultural heritage of Santa Catalina Island and has a knowledgeable staff to help visitors understand the unique history of this special island.
- City of Avalon: Information pertaining to the city located on Santa Catalina Island. Covers local officials, city departments, travel information, Harbor Committees and the Avalon municipal code.
- Los Angeles Harbor College: Information about one of the local Los Angeles area junior colleges.
Staff Picks (All Ages)
A monthly list of noteworthy titles selected by our Collection Development Services team.
LA County Library Debuts Four New Little Libraries at Gloria Molina Grand Park in the Heart of Downtown Los Angeles
Click to learn about the 4 "little libraries" that LA County Library has installed in Gloria Molina Grand Park in Downtown Los Angeles.
LA County Library Hosts Vaccine Clinics at Select Libraries, Providing Free Flu Shots, Updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 Vaccines, and Mpox Vaccines
LA County announces free vaccine clinics at select LA County Library locations through December 20, 2023.