All LA County Library locations will be closed on Thursday, March 7 for staff development. Our digital library is open 24x7.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Sorensen Library 150 150 LA County Library

Sorensen Library

In the late 1940’s residents of this community organized the Sorensen Park and Recreation Association. Their efforts, in part, led to the founding of a library within the Sorensen Park area. Dedicated in 1956, it was seen at the time as the first step in a project that would provide a library three times its…

read more
Rivera Library 150 150 LA County Library

Rivera Library

Rivera library was founded in 1913 and has been at its present location since 1970. The library is located in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood, with heavy usage by children. Rivera is the smaller of the two libraries in the city of Pico Rivera.

read more
Artesia Library 150 150 LA County Library

Artesia Library

Artesia Library is one of the pioneer outlets of the County of Los Angeles Public Library, having been established in June 1913, as the 13th branch of the newly founded system. The library was established largely as a result of the activities of Mr. C. L. Edgerton, principal of the Artesia School and chairman of…

read more
Paramount Express Library 150 150 LA County Library

Paramount Express Library

A desk and a reading room in a building in the Clearwater-Hynes unincorporated community became the 26th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library in September 1913. The Clearwater Branch was located on Paramount Boulevard, (then known as Ocean), north of Alondra Boulevard, (then known as Center). It contained 121 books and the first…

read more
Norwalk Library 150 150 LA County Library

Norwalk Library

Norwalk Library started out in July, 1913 as the 17th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library through the efforts of a committee of the Commercial Club. The collection of 500 books was housed in a second floor room of the Stiffler Building at 537 E. Front Street. In 1919, Hattie Sproul, a member…

read more
Maywood César Chávez Library 150 150 LA County Library

Maywood César Chávez Library

The library was established in February 1921, in the Lincoln School (now Fishburn Avenue School) and was called Maywood Free Public Library. In 1924, the library moved to Pine Avenue and was open four days a week, from 2:00 – 5:00 and 7:00 – 8:00. It remained at that location until 1938, when it moved…

read more
Lynwood Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lynwood Library

Lynwood Library was established in May 1915. It began as a volunteer library, but soon joined the Los Angeles County Public Library System. From a small club-house room on Long Beach Boulevard, the library was moved in 1917 to a storeroom at the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Fernwood Avenue, then to Elmwood Avenue,…

read more
Los Nietos Library 150 150 LA County Library

Los Nietos Library

Los Nietos Library had its beginning shortly after World War I, in September 1919. Since its founding, the Library has offered service in five locations. A bookmobile provided library service to the community for a short time. 1919: Los Nietos School 1939: 2031 Norwalk Blvd 1948: Bookmobile 1949: Los Nietos School cafeteria building 1950: 8801…

read more
Lomita Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lomita Library

The Los Angeles County Free Library was a little over a year old when the Lomita community applied for service. A branch was established in a local clubhouse in June 1914 with 232 books which were mostly donated, 14 registered card holders, and a volunteer custodian in charge of the library. By 1918 its original…

read more
Leland R. Weaver Library 150 150 LA County Library

Leland R. Weaver Library

The city of South Gate was incorporated in 1923 with a population of about 2,500 residents. The first South Gate Library was opened that same year in a back room of City Hall. Starting in 1931, the County of Los Angeles Free Library began providing library service to local residents. In 1948, the County of…

read more
Skip to content