• CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Culver City Julian Dixon Library 150 150 LA County Library

Culver City Julian Dixon Library

Culver City Library was established April 1, 1915 in the new Pacific Electric Railroad Depot. The library moved to various locations throughout the city as it grew in size over the years. The library has been in its present location since 1970. The Japanese Garden in front of the library was a gift from Kaizuka,…

read more
Huntington Park Library 150 150 LA County Library

Huntington Park Library

Proudly serving the residents of the vibrant City of Huntington Park and neighboring areas, the Huntington Park Library was founded in 1913 and originally housed in the City Hall. As the library continued to grow, it moved to larger locations in 1924 and 1931. The present library building in the Civic Center was dedicated in…

read more
La Cañada Flintridge Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Cañada Flintridge Library

The La Cañada Flintridge Library was established in May 1913 and was originally housed in the rear of a general store. It was the second branch of the Los Angeles County Public Library system. The library was moved in 1915 to the La Cañada Elementary School where it remained through 1934. At that time, the…

read more
Lancaster Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lancaster Library

The original Lancaster Library was established by the Los Angeles County Free Public Library in October 1912 in the Antelope Valley Union High School which was located on the southwest corner of Tenth Street (now Lancaster Boulevard) and Cedar Avenue. Subsequently, the Lancaster Library occupied space in a local drugstore, the Chamber of Commerce, and…

read more
Montebello Library 150 150 LA County Library

Montebello Library

Montebello Library was established in January 1914 and was first located in the local newspaper office. In 1916 the library moved to the local post office. In 1924 the library moved to its first separate building. Montebello was the first city in the county to build a library with funds raised by a bond issue…

read more
Rosemead Library 150 150 LA County Library

Rosemead Library

Rosemead Library traces its history back to the establishment of the Savannah Branch of the Los Angeles County Free Public Library in June, 1916. The library originally occupied one room of the Savannah School, located on the corner of Valley Blvd. and Rio Hondo Avenue. Over the years the library has burned down twice (in…

read more
San Fernando Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Fernando Library

San Fernando Library opened in November 1914 as a branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library. This library, the first public library in the mainly agricultural San Fernando Valley, found its home in the Industrial Arts building of the San Fernando Union High School located at 130 North Brand Blvd. In the first year,…

read more
A C Bilbrew Library 150 150 LA County Library

A C Bilbrew Library

Located in a shopping center from 1964 to 1974, the North Enterprise Branch became the A C Bilbrew Library with the opening of the present building on November 2, 1974. Los Angeles County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn was instrumental in the library obtaining funding through a Model Neighborhood Development Program to build a 21,000 square foot…

read more
Claremont Helen Renwick Library 150 150 LA County Library

Claremont Helen Renwick Library

Claremont Library was founded in 1914. It has been at its current location since 1928. The present building opened on April 25, 1975. The Friends of the Claremont Public Library was founded in 1957.

read more
East Los Angeles Library 150 150 LA County Library

East Los Angeles Library

East Los Angeles Library was established on May 1, 1923, with a small collection of books in the corner of a local store. Three months later, a small building was constructed to house the collection. In 1924, another building was constructed at Kern Avenue near Whittier Boulevard to become the new site of the public…

read more
Skip to content