All LA County Library locations will be closed on Wednesday, June 19 in observance of Juneteenth. Our digital library is open 24/7.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Compton Library 150 150 LA County Library

Compton Library

Compton Library branch of the Los Angeles County Free library opened its doors in July of 1913, the 11th branch of today’s LA County Library. The library was located in a storefront building near Main and Tamarind Streets and was later moved to the Compton Union High School at 212 S Acacia Street. In 1925…

read more
Gardena Mayme Dear Library 150 150 LA County Library

Gardena Mayme Dear Library

Gardena Library was born under the sponsorship of the Wednesday Progressive Club before the Los Angeles County Free Library was founded in 1912. In 1914, Gardena Library became a branch of the new County System. Only a few months later, the library was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles City Library Board due…

read more
Lawndale Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lawndale Library

The first library in Lawndale – one of the earliest branches of the County of Los Angeles Public Library – opened December 26, 1913 at the corner of Railroad Ave. and Market St. (now Hawthorne Blvd. and 147th St.). The current Lawndale Library opened to great fanfare March 18, 2009 after 52 years of serving…

read more
Lennox Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lennox Library

Lennox Library was first established in 1918 in the original Jefferson School on 104th St. The library was permanently moved to its present site in 1948.

read more
Masao W. Satow Library 150 150 LA County Library

Masao W. Satow Library

In 1958, two branches (Moneta, opened in 1913 and Strawberry Park opened in 1919) merged into West Gardena Library. A fire in 1969 caused the branch to move into a new building. The new building located at 14433 S. Crenshaw, was dedicated on February 26, 1977, in honor of Mr. Masao William Satow. Mr. Satow…

read more
Willowbrook Library 150 150 LA County Library

Willowbrook Library

Willowbrook Library occupies a very special place in the history of the County of Los Angeles Public Library. The Los Angeles County Free Library, as it was then called, was founded September 5, 1912. On Christmas Eve Day, 1912, the County Librarian received a petition from the residents of the Willowbrook Community, requesting that Willowbrook…

read more
Wiseburn Library 150 150 LA County Library

Wiseburn Library

Initially, the Wiseburn Coordinating Council, formed in 1952, was instrumental in securing the services of the Los Angeles County Mobile Library for 2 years. They later petitioned Los Angeles County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn and County Librarian John Henderson for the establishment of a permanent Wiseburn Library in the Del Aire area. A small County Library…

read more
Woodcrest Library 150 150 LA County Library

Woodcrest Library

The library was founded in 1913 and housed in the Woodcrest School. It moved to various locations in the community until the present location was opened in 1967.

read more
A C Bilbrew Library 150 150 LA County Library

A C Bilbrew Library

Located in a shopping center from 1964 to 1974, the North Enterprise Branch became the A C Bilbrew Library with the opening of the present building on November 2, 1974. Los Angeles County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn was instrumental in the library obtaining funding through a Model Neighborhood Development Program to build a 21,000 square foot…

read more
Carson Library 150 150 LA County Library

Carson Library

Established in 1938 as the Keystone Branch, the library merged with the Carson Branch in 1959. The present building was opened in 1972 and was fully renovated in 2023. It serves 19.24 square miles.

read more
Skip to content