• CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Cudahy Library 150 150 LA County Library

Cudahy Library

Library service in Cudahy dates back to 1913. At that time, the library operated out of a private home. In 1914, the library moved to a room in a school and was open for an hour on Wednesdays and for three hours on Saturdays. Then known as the Antonio Library, circulation for the year was…

read more
La Mirada Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Mirada Library

La Mirada Library was established in 1915 in a one-room schoolhouse that belonged to the Norwalk School District. It soon received supplemental service from the Los Angeles County Library. From 1958 to 1971 the library was housed in a leased storefront in the La Mirada Business Center. The present library building was dedicated on July…

read more
Norwalk Library 150 150 LA County Library

Norwalk Library

Norwalk Library started out in July, 1913 as the 17th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library through the efforts of a committee of the Commercial Club. The collection of 500 books was housed in a second floor room of the Stiffler Building at 537 E. Front Street. In 1919, Hattie Sproul, a member…

read more
South Whittier Library 150 150 LA County Library

South Whittier Library

South Whittier Library was founded in 1915. The library’s first location was in a one-room schoolhouse. South Whittier’s first separate built-as-a-library building was dedicated on April 16, 1956. After 16 years at that location on Laurel Avenue, the library moved to 14433 Leffingwell Road. The library closed for renovations in January 1988 and a newly…

read more
Alondra Library 150 150 LA County Library

Alondra Library

Dedicated on June 13, 1970, the Alondra Library was opened with a collection of nearly 15,000 volumes. The ground was broken for the Library on Jan 14, 1970. Built by the City of Norwalk, the library was to place a special emphasis on Norwalk’s Mexican-American heritage and culture. Funds for the first Spanish language books…

read more
Bell Gardens Library 150 150 LA County Library

Bell Gardens Library

Bell Gardens Library first opened in August, 1938 at 5656 Live Oak St. As the City of Bell Gardens grew and expanded, so did the library. On September 22, 1958 the library moved to 7515 Eastern Ave. (a store front location). The library moved to its current location, 7110 S. Garfield Avenue, on May 7th,…

read more
Bell Library 150 150 LA County Library

Bell Library

Bell Library was established in 1913 as the 29th branch of the County of Los Angeles Public Library System. After having been relocated several times, the library was built at the present location in 1960. Due to the rapid growth of the community, the building was expanded in 1973. It is presently serving one of…

read more
Skip to content