- Monday Closed
- Tuesday 12 pm - 8 pm
- Wednesday 12 pm - 8 pm
- Thursday 10 am - 6 pm
- Friday 10 am - 6 pm
- Saturday 10 am - 6 pm
- Sunday Closed
Get to Know This Library
Online Collections — Available 24 hours
- In-person and telephone research assistance
- MetroTAP Cards
- Early Learning and Engagement
- Online Homework Help
- Public Computers: 8
- Children's Computers: 3
- Laptop & Hotspot Kits: 6
- Express Computers: 8
- Early Learning Computers: 1
Friends of the Library
Friends of Duarte Library a volunteer-run organization that supports the library and library events
Friends of Duarte Library provides the following services to support the library.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale
Library service on an established basis began in 1950 in a small room of the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Wayland Morrison, with Mrs. Lisa Pederson as the librarian. The holdings were small, but the request system of the County Library gave the community access to the vast resources of the system.
In 1954, a storefront building in Bank of America Square was made available. Since the location was more central, more patrons came, circulation increased, and however inadequate the facility, the library provided vital, friendly service to the rapidly growing community.
With a nucleus of members from the Duarte Women’s Club, the Friends of the Duarte Library was formed, and in 1961, Mrs. Richard (Aloysia) Moore was elected first permanent president. Mrs. Moore, who had been instrumental in the formation of library service in Duarte, was appointed as Library Regional Council Member to the Advisory Board for the County Library.
Mrs. Moore promptly began plans to provide a larger facility and with the considerable help of the Women’s Club, the County Librarian, Mr. William Geller and his staff as well as the citizens of Duarte, a new facility was dedicated in 1966. Mrs. Moore was on the dedication platform as City Councilwoman, with Los Angeles County Supervisor Frank Bonelli and Mr. William Geller, the County Librarian.
In April 1977, the main reading room was dedicated to Dr. and Mrs. Wayland Morrison (Lucile P Morrison), thus providing recognition of the continuity of purpose in the history of library service in Duarte.
Library service in the city of Duarte has gone from a small collection to a sizable collection of books, magazines and newspapers in both the adult and children’s departments. The Library also has an active Friends of the Library group.
- City of Duarte Municipal Code
- City of Duarte: The City of Duarte's web site gives city history and general information, demographics, political representation, phone numbers, frequently asked questions, and calendars.
- City of Bradbury: This web site includes information about the City of Bradbury, its government and local services as well as city history.
- City of Hope: This site has information about the City of Hope and Beckman Research Institute. It includes information about its designation as a NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, its bio-medical research and medical services, the Graff Library, philanthropic activities, and employment opportunities.
- Duarte Unified School District: This site includes information about the school district serving Duarte, Bradbury and the Maxwell Park area.
Staff Picks (All Ages)
A monthly list of noteworthy titles selected by our Collection Development Services team.
Major $8 Million Renovation to Begin for Lynwood Library. Lynwood is first of several Southeast LA libraries that Hahn’s office will help renovate.