• CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Hermosa Beach Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hermosa Beach Library

The Ocean View School on Monterey Blvd., where the St. Cross Church now stands, housed the first library. In 1913 it became a part of the Los Angeles County Public Library system, occupying a room in the Walker Building on the northwest Corner of Pier and Hermosa Avenues. On August 10, 1962, after forty-five years…

read more
Lloyd Taber-Marina del Rey Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lloyd Taber-Marina del Rey Library

The library was built by the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors in 1976 to serve the Marina clientele. The William R. Pagen Nautical Wing and the Greg and Mimi Wenger Community Room were added in 1999 through the efforts of the Marina Foundation, the Board of Supervisors and the County of Los…

read more
Lomita Library 150 150 LA County Library

Lomita Library

The Los Angeles County Free Library was a little over a year old when the Lomita community applied for service. A branch was established in a local clubhouse in June 1914 with 232 books which were mostly donated, 14 registered card holders, and a volunteer custodian in charge of the library. By 1918 its original…

read more
Manhattan Beach Library 150 150 LA County Library

Manhattan Beach Library

Manhattan Beach Library was started as a subscription library in 1910 by the Neptunian Women’s Club of Manhattan Beach. The library became part of LA County Library in January 1915, making it one of the oldest continuing libraries in the county system. The library moved into a separate building in 1957 and to its current…

read more
West Hollywood Library 150 150 LA County Library

West Hollywood Library

West Hollywood Library began service to the area (then unincorporated ) in 1913. The library was previously located at Sherman School, a cottage on Clark Street, a building on Westbourne Drive, and a building near the present site. The Library has an active Friends of the Library group. The new library was dedicated October 1,…

read more
Avalon Library 150 150 LA County Library

Avalon Library

Avalon Library was established in February of 1914. Led by the Mary Williams Club (now the Santa Catalina Woman’s Club), and the Avalon Chamber of Commerce the townspeople came together to meet the offer that Los Angeles County presented to them “if the citizens could provide furniture, shelves, a space and volunteers to run it”,…

read more
Skip to content