All LA County Library locations will be closed on Wednesday, June 19 in observance of Juneteenth. Our digital library is open 24/7.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Cudahy Library 150 150 LA County Library

Cudahy Library

Library service in Cudahy dates back to 1913. At that time, the library operated out of a private home. In 1914, the library moved to a room in a school and was open for an hour on Wednesdays and for three hours on Saturdays. Then known as the Antonio Library, circulation for the year was…

read more
Florence Library 150 150 LA County Library

Florence Library

Library service to the Florence community began in 1914 as a collection of 125 titles housed in the home of Fred W. Cleland at 1920 E. Florence Avenue, with Mrs. Maude Cleland as the volunteer custodian of the collection. On June 30, 1915, the collection of 508 books was moved to the Florence Avenue Elementary…

read more
Huntington Park Library 150 150 LA County Library

Huntington Park Library

Proudly serving the residents of the vibrant City of Huntington Park and neighboring areas, the Huntington Park Library was founded in 1913 and originally housed in the City Hall. As the library continued to grow, it moved to larger locations in 1924 and 1931. The present library building in the Civic Center was dedicated in…

read more
Maywood César Chávez Library 150 150 LA County Library

Maywood César Chávez Library

The library was established in February 1921, in the Lincoln School (now Fishburn Avenue School) and was called Maywood Free Public Library. In 1924, the library moved to Pine Avenue and was open four days a week, from 2:00 – 5:00 and 7:00 – 8:00. It remained at that location until 1938, when it moved…

read more
Avalon Library 150 150 LA County Library

Avalon Library

Avalon Library was established in February of 1914. Led by the Mary Williams Club (now the Santa Catalina Woman’s Club), and the Avalon Chamber of Commerce the townspeople came together to meet the offer that Los Angeles County presented to them “if the citizens could provide furniture, shelves, a space and volunteers to run it”,…

read more
Bell Gardens Library 150 150 LA County Library

Bell Gardens Library

Bell Gardens Library first opened in August, 1938 at 5656 Live Oak St. As the City of Bell Gardens grew and expanded, so did the library. On September 22, 1958 the library moved to 7515 Eastern Ave. (a store front location). The library moved to its current location, 7110 S. Garfield Avenue, on May 7th,…

read more
Bell Library 150 150 LA County Library

Bell Library

Bell Library was established in 1913 as the 29th branch of the County of Los Angeles Public Library System. After having been relocated several times, the library was built at the present location in 1960. Due to the rapid growth of the community, the building was expanded in 1973. It is presently serving one of…

read more
Clifton M. Brakensiek Library 150 150 LA County Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library has served the community of Bellflower for more than 100 years. The first branch was opened on March 11, 1914. The library moved four times until its present facility was dedicated on August 16, 1975, and named in honor of Clifton M. Brakensiek, MD, who donated the land on which the…

read more
George Nye, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

George Nye, Jr. Library

On February 22, 1973, the City of Lakewood, in cooperation with the County of Los Angeles Public Library, opened the George Nye, Jr. Library. The library is named for Lakewood Mayor George H. Nye, Jr. who died while serving in office in May 1971. The library is the second in the city and serves the…

read more
Graham Library 150 150 LA County Library

Graham Library

Graham Library was established in April 1915. The library was first located in a school and then moved into a store building two years later. In 1928, the library was moved to a building located on Glendale and New Hampshire (now Holmes and 85th Street). In 1938, the Graham Library moved to new quarters at…

read more
Skip to content