All LA County Library locations will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day. Our digital library is open 24/7.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Baldwin Park Library 150 150 LA County Library

Baldwin Park Library

Baldwin Park Library was founded on February 27, 1914. It has been at its present location since June 20, 1969. The Friends of the Library was formed in 1982. This group continues to be active and gives the library volunteers and monetary support.

read more
El Monte Library 150 150 LA County Library

El Monte Library

Friendly El Monte, the End of the Santa Fe Trail, was incorporated in 1912. The city was once home to Gay’s Lion Farm during the 1930s and famous for the roaring lion on MGM’s logo. The El Monte Library was founded in 1890, and joined the Los Angeles County Public Library in 1913. It has…

read more
La Puente Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Puente Library

La Puente Library began its long career in a local schoolhouse in September 1913. It resided in a school, a bank, and the Puente Mercantile Building until 1930. The library then moved to larger quarters several times over the next 38 years until it reached its present location in the La Puente Civic Center in…

read more
La Verne Library 150 150 LA County Library

La Verne Library

La Verne Library was originally established as the “Traveling Library” on October 1, 1914, when the Lordsburg Library Board of Trustees joined the Los Angeles County Library system. After numerous moves to ever larger facilities, the La Verne Library moved to its current location at 3640 D Street on July 29, 1985.

read more
Norwood Library 150 150 LA County Library

Norwood Library

The original Norwood Library opened on November 22, 1950 as a storefront library at 4772 Peck Road. The library was opened to provide service to residents of the unincorporated area north of the city of El Monte. The city annexed this area in the early 1960’s. Property for a larger site was purchased in 1967.…

read more
San Dimas Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Dimas Library

Founded in 1913 as the second branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library, the San Dimas Library was originally located in the back of Fairbank’s Drug Store. Subsequently, it moved to a storefront location on Bonita Avenue. The present building, located in the San Dimas Civic Center, was dedicated in 1971.

read more
South El Monte Library 150 150 LA County Library

South El Monte Library

The library, as part of the new South El Monte Civic Center complex, was built in 1966. Present at the dedication ceremony were County Supervisor Frank G. Bonelli and County Librarian William Geller. The facility, under a 20-year lease from the City of South El Monte, was purchased by the County of Los Angeles in…

read more
Sunkist Library 150 150 LA County Library

Sunkist Library

The original Sunkist-La Puente Library was dedicated and opened on Monday, March 28, 1960 to become the second library in the City of La Puente. This storefront library was located at 13913 Elliot Avenue in the Sunkist Shopping Center. The library was dedicated by Supervisor Frank Bonelli. The library remained in that location for 18…

read more
Charter Oak Library 150 150 LA County Library

Charter Oak Library

The first building was a private residence of the librarian, Mrs. W. A. Jones. In 1930, the library moved and changed its name to the Ben Lomond Library. In July 1962, the Charter Oak Library moved to 20562 Arrow Highway. After a tragic fire which destroyed much of the library and its collection, it was…

read more
Duarte Library 150 150 LA County Library

Duarte Library

Library service on an established basis began in 1950 in a small room of the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Wayland Morrison, with Mrs. Lisa Pederson as the librarian. The holdings were small, but the request system of the County Library gave the community access to the vast resources of the system. In 1954, a…

read more
Skip to content