• CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Wiseburn Library 150 150 LA County Library

Wiseburn Library

Initially, the Wiseburn Coordinating Council, formed in 1952, was instrumental in securing the services of the Los Angeles County Mobile Library for 2 years. They later petitioned Los Angeles County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn and County Librarian John Henderson for the establishment of a permanent Wiseburn Library in the Del Aire area. A small County Library…

read more
Rosemead Library 150 150 LA County Library

Rosemead Library

Rosemead Library traces its history back to the establishment of the Savannah Branch of the Los Angeles County Free Public Library in June, 1916. The library originally occupied one room of the Savannah School, located on the corner of Valley Blvd. and Rio Hondo Avenue. Over the years the library has burned down twice (in…

read more
San Fernando Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Fernando Library

San Fernando Library opened in November 1914 as a branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library. This library, the first public library in the mainly agricultural San Fernando Valley, found its home in the Industrial Arts building of the San Fernando Union High School located at 130 North Brand Blvd. In the first year,…

read more
San Gabriel Library 150 150 LA County Library

San Gabriel Library

The library was founded in 1915 and moved to its present site in 1967. The Friends of the Library was founded in 1967. A historical mural was painted in 1984. The library recently underwent a total refurbishment.

read more
Sorensen Library 150 150 LA County Library

Sorensen Library

In the late 1940’s residents of this community organized the Sorensen Park and Recreation Association. Their efforts, in part, led to the founding of a library within the Sorensen Park area. Dedicated in 1956, it was seen at the time as the first step in a project that would provide a library three times its…

read more
South El Monte Library 150 150 LA County Library

South El Monte Library

The library, as part of the new South El Monte Civic Center complex, was built in 1966. Present at the dedication ceremony were County Supervisor Frank G. Bonelli and County Librarian William Geller. The facility, under a 20-year lease from the City of South El Monte, was purchased by the County of Los Angeles in…

read more
Stevenson Ranch Library 150 150 LA County Library

Stevenson Ranch Library

Library service in Stevenson Ranch began in July 2011 with the opening of Stevenson Ranch Express Library. In March, 2015, a new Stevenson Ranch Library opened to provide a full service library to the West Ranch communities. Library service in the Santa Clarita Valley area began in 1916 with the establishment of the original Newhall…

read more
Temple City Library 150 150 LA County Library

Temple City Library

Temple City Library was founded when Willa Samson initiated a small lending library in her home. In 1924, Mrs. Samson’s rental cottage (9961 Woodruff Avenue) became the first official library site with Mrs. Samson as Temple City’s first librarian. When the library outgrew its surroundings, it was relocated in the abandoned Pacific Electric building (corner…

read more
View Park Bebe Moore Campbell Library 150 150 LA County Library

View Park Bebe Moore Campbell Library

View Park Bebe Moore Campbell Library serves the residents of View Park-Windsor Hills, an unincorporated area west of the City of Los Angeles, north of the City of Inglewood, and southeast of Culver City. View Park Library was founded in 1940 and was housed in a leased facility located at 5400 S. Harcourt Avenue. The…

read more
Walnut Library 150 150 LA County Library

Walnut Library

Walnut Library was founded in March 1916 in the original Walnut Elementary School. It was maintained there until 1964 when bookmobile service was initiated to better serve the area. When the Walnut population increased, a 3,250 square foot rental storefront at 134 N. Pierre Street was opened in 1970. The library has been at the…

read more
Skip to content