Select libraries will serve as Cooling Centers through Wednesday, July 24. Learn More.
  • CONTACT US |
    ×

Archives

Alondra Library 150 150 LA County Library

Alondra Library

Dedicated on June 13, 1970, the Alondra Library was opened with a collection of nearly 15,000 volumes. The ground was broken for the Library on Jan 14, 1970. Built by the City of Norwalk, the library was to place a special emphasis on Norwalk’s Mexican-American heritage and culture. Funds for the first Spanish language books…

read more
Clifton M. Brakensiek Library 150 150 LA County Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library

Clifton M. Brakensiek Library has served the community of Bellflower for more than 100 years. The first branch was opened on March 11, 1914. The library moved four times until its present facility was dedicated on August 16, 1975, and named in honor of Clifton M. Brakensiek, MD, who donated the land on which the…

read more
George Nye, Jr. Library 150 150 LA County Library

George Nye, Jr. Library

On February 22, 1973, the City of Lakewood, in cooperation with the County of Los Angeles Public Library, opened the George Nye, Jr. Library. The library is named for Lakewood Mayor George H. Nye, Jr. who died while serving in office in May 1971. The library is the second in the city and serves the…

read more
Hacienda Heights Library 150 150 LA County Library

Hacienda Heights Library

Hacienda Heights Library first opened January 25, 1960 at 1016 S. Hacienda Blvd. & Gale Avenue in a leased 3,000 square foot building, with Mrs. Clara Mohlengraft as librarian. In 1966 it moved to a 1,100 square foot double trailer at 2054 S. Hacienda Blvd. near Halliburton Rd., with Dorthy Nichols in charge. The current…

read more
Skip to content