Play, learn, create, and experiment!
Though many of us got creative this past year, exploring new hobbies and learning new skills, it’s still easy for boredom to creep into our lives. Below are some ideas and resources to help you fend off that mid-summer slump and make the most of the month:
- Create at Home with Activity Kits
Take home an activity kit for kids and teens available at all open library locations, while supplies last. Activity kits include materials for activities, like making tissue paper art or building your very own catapult, demonstrated in select videos on our YouTube channel. Call ahead to your local library to see what’s available, and check back for new activity kits released throughout the summer exploring STEAM, the arts, animals, handicrafts, and more!
- Go Outside and Explore Nature
Even in an urban area like LA County, nature can be found everywhere! Discover the natural world right outside your door by checking out our Nature Exploration virtual programs series. Learn about wildlife right at your feet, how to garden at home, and the many Natural Area Parks you can visit! Create an outdoor adventure with the whole family with these books as your guide!
- Enhance Smarty Pants Storytime and Baby Band
Join us on Fridays for either live virtual Smarty Pants Storytime or Baby Band Practice! Follow along with materials commonly found around the house or pick up a Storytime or Baby Band kit at select library location, while supplies last. Call ahead to your local library to check availability.
- Take a Chance on Something New
Curious about expanding your horizons on a topic or area but don’t know where to start? Discover or learn something new by attending one of our live virtual programs or combing through one of our YouTube playlists. Whether you’re looking for a new job, dipping your toes into the arts, or want to try a new parenting tactic, our online and virtual offerings cover a variety of topics for all ages. Here are just a few to get you started:
- Magic & Probability
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Refashioned Letter Writing
- Draw Along Series: Part 1 – How to Draw Bob
- Beginner’s Guide to Sushi
- Acrostic Name Poetry
- Positive Parenting Tips: Helping Tweens and Teens Establish Routines
- Mindful Moment: Finger Touching Meditation
- Adult 101: How to Tie a Necktie – Shelby-Pratt Knot
- Goal Setting: Learn a New Language
- Watercolor Series: Lesson 1