Tax season is upon us, but don’t worry, the library is here to help. On this page you will find information on the California Franchise Tax Board, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance), MyFreeTaxes.com, and library events that can help you file your taxes.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Download forms and publications from IRS.gov
- Order forms and publications from IRS.gov
- Call 1-800-829-3676 to order IRS forms and publications by phone.
California Franchise Tax Board (FTB)
- Download forms and publications from the FTB
- Call (800) 338-0505 or write to the address below to order tax forms and instructions to be delivered by mail:
TAX FORMS REQUEST UNIT
Franchise Tax Board
PO BOX 307
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-0307
- The California Earned Income Tax Credit is a cash-back tax credit that puts money back into the pockets of California’s working families and individuals, including the self-employed, who earned $22,300 or less in 2017. Learn more by visiting the FTB’s website.
You can also contact your local library to see which tax forms and publications are available to pick up today.
Provides easy, free, tax help you can trust. The MyFreeTaxes Partnership provides free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals or families with a combined income of $66,000 or less in 2017. It’s easy, safe, secure and 100 percent free.
Offers free, individualized tax preparation for low-to moderate-income taxpayers – especially those 60 and older – at more than 5,000 locations nationwide.
A program that generally offers free tax help to people who make $54,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities. Assistance is generally available from February 1 through April 15th. The VITA program specializes in assisting disabled taxpayers, those with low to limited income, and non-English speaking taxpayers.
Los Angeles County Consumer & Business Affairs Center for Financial Empowerment is partnering with VITA to provide free tax assistance and filing for people who made $54,000 or less in 2017. See the flyer for more information. This program is available by appointment only.